Breastfeeding

1. Do I need to clean my nipple with water before breastfeed? - 2. For direct latch, each boob feed how long? (Newborn babies should breastfeed 8–12 times per day for about the first month?) - 3. How do I know baby is drinking how much breast milk if I'm latching? - 4. Milk storage bag, eg 200ml bag but I only have 100ml milk pumped, do I put the filled bag in chiller or freezer? Can I top up the same storage bag? (is it put 1st pumped milk in chiller, can combine 2nd pumped milk once both milk reaches same temperature then add into storage bag and store in freezer, all to be finish combining within 24 hours)

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hey dear, don't stress yourself out. Take an easy. Newborns normally drink more often like hourly or usually 2 to 3 hourly. If she feeds every hourly it is known as cluster feeding. Which means she will combine the feeds together so it almost seems she hungry every hour. Not because you do not have milk but because she is either going through a growth spurt and because babies tummies are so small they can't drink a lot of milk which means they feed often. Plus babies do not only feed because their hungry, they suck on your boob for comfort, bonding and to de-stress. The sucking motion keeps them calm and when they are so young, the best way for them to bond with you is through breastfeeding. You know when she is drinking enough is when she has 1. A lot of wet diapers 2. Contentment 3. Alert and happy You don't have to clean your nipple every time. Sometimes the natural smell of the leftover milk on your boob helps your baby to recognize you and also your breastmilk helps lubricate your nipples. You can wipe once in while if your sweaty or just feel your boob is not that clean at the time. As for pumped breastmilk, depends. If you use double pumps, you can store in one bag, I had to separate into 2 since when my baby went infantcare, she does not drink a lot so I had to separate it into 2 portions. It is not good to put together breastmilk from 1 different timings together as if the milk from previous timing expires, it can lead to tummy upset in babies. Even though it rarely happens in BM but don't take chances too much with the small one hehe

Read more
TapFluencer

1. Usually I clean with wet wipes that baby using to clean my nipple before feeding. 2. 1 breastfeeding session usually take about 30 min. 3. Usually i will only seperate day and night milk. I will mix the day milk tgt. What I do is I will store the milk I have pump into a container and put in chiller first. To keep freshness I will not store in chiller for more than 12 hour before freezing it. So usually I will judge if its enough for 1 milk storage bag if it is I will transfer into storage bag and keep in freezer.

Read more
VIP Member

Yes , you can top up the bag when same temperature but wont encourage so. I usually just freeze directly after pump to minimise contamination. 100ml is easier for next time use too. 200ml may be too much for one feed, especially if you will b mixing that with ebm when the supply drop.

i’m exclusively pumping so what i do for pumping is : 1) combine milk from both breast from every pump session and store in fridge in bottle 2) at last pump of the day i bottle prep for next day 3) measure and bag remaining milk for freezer

Read more
Super Mum

I feed on demand, one side each time. Some babies feed more efficiently as they grow but each session can vary from around 8 to 30mins. Just folloe baby's cue.

VIP Member

I wont know how much baby is drinking by latching. So long wet diapers and gaining weight, it's fine.

VIP Member

I didn't clean my nipple with water every time b4 breastfeed. Just normally when showering.

VIP Member

I feed on demand and switch side about 5min.