Keep calm and soldier on mummy!
Even at this stage, your baby's lungs have yet to mature. Interestingly, even after he is born, it will take a while until he establishes a normal breathing pattern. As for you, mum, get your mind of your anxiety by shopping for a breast pump, if you decide to use one. We've got a pretty comprehensive guide for you to follow.
Your Baby's Development
In this week by week pregnancy guide, you'll learn that:
- While most of your baby's organ systems may be fully developed and in place by now, his lungs have yet to reach maturity. In fact, even when born, it will take a while for him to develop a normal breathing pattern.
- His nails have been growing and now have reached the ends of his teeny tiny fingers and toes.
- Chances are your feet and ankles are swollen. However, if you experience swelling in your hands and face or if you experience puffiness around your eyes, immediately call your doctor.
- You must be wary of preeclampsia symptoms which include severe headaches, blurred vision, nausea, vomiting, and intense abdominal pain. Should you experience any of these symptoms, immediately call your doctor or rush to the hospital.
- Your breasts may begin leaking colostrum, a thin yellowish liquid that is the precursor to breast milk. Colostrum is packed with antibodies to protect your newborn from infections. It has more protein, less fat, and less sugar than the breast milk that arrives later.
- Your legs and vaginal area will begin to feel uncomfortable as your baby makes his way down your pelvis and pushes against some of your nerves.
- If your breasts are leaking colostrum, place nursing pads in your bra to protect your clothes. On the other hand, even if you do not experience leakage, colostrum is still being produced in your breasts as it is the nutrition that your baby will need when you breastfeed.
- Double check your list on what your nursery needs. Ensure that you have everything you need before the baby comes.
- Shop for your breast pump if you intend to express milk. Here's a comprehensive guide on how to buy the perfect one. Do also buy breast pads and nursing bras.
Your breasts might start leaking colostrum, so place nursing pads in your bra to protect your clothes.
Do something to elevate your mood such as spa or manicure/pedicure. Feeling blue is normal during this week of your pregnancy
Avoid consuming large meals especially at nighttime