When baby starts using hand in blw, will they refuse cutlery when they grow older?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My friend did get baby to use spoon while trying out baby-led weaning. Not sure if it is encouraged, but she wanted to let her baby try mashed/pureed food. Hence, she would use the spoon to scoop a small portion of puree and place the spoon in the bowl for baby to handle herself. Took a while (and some demonstration on my friend's part) for baby to learn how to use the spoon to self feed, but she got it in the end. It was messy but worked for my friend.

Read more

No, I don't think so. As baby grows older, you can introduce cutlery gradually. Moreover, with social conventions in school and other settings like family meals, children usually have no problem picking up the habit of using cutlery. Even as baby is using his hands to eat, you can place a plastic set of baby cutlery by where baby eats and prompt him to use it :)

Read more

baby will always want to copy you. introduce cutlery around 1yo and eat together with your baby as much as possible and he'll get it