Which is of a lesser evil? thumb sucking or sucking on pacificer? my son (3mths old) has a tendency to suck his thumbs.. so whenever he does so, I will let him suck on the pacificer instead..

48 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

In my opinion, I feel that pacifier is better option than a thumb sucking child because it’s easier to wean off a pacifier than a thumb sucking habit. Give a pacifier to a baby ONLY when it’s necessary eg; when the child is tired and crying and he will sleep faster. Take it out soon after when the child falls asleep or has calmed down. Though thumb sucking may seemed convenient and adorable but in the contrary, it’s a addictive habit that is really difficult to quit for a child and this may stretched into his teens years. The last thing you would really want is to have your beautiful child ending up having bucked front teeth or crooked front teeth. With the constant sucking and hours of soaking that thumb in the mouth and with the wet saliver...the smell can be really bad. Not to say, it will also damage the skin and nail around the child’s thumb. Pacifiers are really a better and more controllable source of help but of course if given a choice, doing without the both options are a win for me! Trust me, it’s based on my personal journeys with my 5 babies. 😅😂😄...

Read more