Any good ways to slowly stop my LO (now 22 months) from sucking his thumb? He usually will suck his thumb to sleep or for comfort (when crying ). If he is engaged in activities , he usually won't suck his thumb. But I want him to stop sucking his thumb completely

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

First of all, I think it's important to understand why he sucks his thumb. It could be teething or hunger cues, but most of the time it's usually a form of comfort just like latching and pacifiers! Once you understand the "why", you can go ahead and do the "how". How do you want to let him stop sucking his thumb? If that is a big concern to you, there are several ways like the other mummies suggested - but I personally prefer a more "peaceful/gentle" approach. Our kids are able to understand a lot more than we think, so you can probably start with explaining why you don't want him to be doing it. Then give him alternatives to it, like a stuffed toy/safety blanket for security, or set up a "routine" where he can come to you for a hug whenever he needs comfort (something like that!). I don't really have much solution because my LO doesn't do that, he does have his pacifier but it doesn't bother me very much since it's usually only when he's sleepy and he'll spit it out when he falls asleep :) My son isn't latching anymore so he seeks a lot of comfort from my hugs, his teddy bear and pacifier!

Read more
VIP Member

hahahah i had this trouble when my girl was cominf to 3 yrs old... but this chic rice aunty help me out... she actually tell an old folk tale... saying that if she doesnt stop sucking there would be worms .... she totally stop. i was so surprise.... for my boy... i told him better stop... cos when u go to sch... you wont look handsome to your girldfrens.... h3 stopped too.... at 18mnths

Read more

Try explaining to him why he shouldn’t suck his thumb and encourage him to try not to do it by planning some sort of reward system? Like he gets a sticker etc if he didn’t do it for the night. You may also consider getting a thumb guard to help him kick the habit! Good luck!

Get him a soft toy for sucking? Those soft gel type which is used for when baby growing teeth initially. And also patiently explain to him you want him to quit this habit as he is growing up.

it's natural but you may buy things that he can bite. he may be able to stop sucking fingers

Get him to use something else for comfort at bed time...a soft toy perhaps?

VIP Member

My boy suck on a tag on his pillow instead lol

Be persistent and keep removing his thumb.

VIP Member

U may can replace it with pacifier ..

VIP Member

Just keep correcting him