when exactly do I start giving puree from 6 months? how do I know if baby is ready to eat? after introducing puree, how often do I feed milk? start with puree or? TIA

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

5 and a half to 6 months is a good age to start puree. "Signs that your baby is ready for solids include: 1.They can stay in a sitting position and hold their head steady. 2.They can co-ordinate their eyes, hands and mouth so that they can look at the food, pick it up and put it in their mouth, all by themselves. 3.They can swallow food. Babies who aren’t ready will push their food back out, so they get more round their face than they do in their mouths." (NHS) Try fruits and veggies first and introduce one at a time. One week one type of veggie or fruit. This is to test for allergy. If you are breastfeeding, continue to breastfeed alongside the solids. Solids is not yet their main source of nutrition yet at this age and this is just to introduce them to the concept of solid foods. So if you are bf or giving formula, continue to do so. You can start with a teaspoon or two first of puree and then give milk afterwards, if he/she is still hungry. You don't have to feed 3 meals a day. Once will do at a time which suits both of you. You can increase the amount and frequency gradually. Take the cue from your baby. Hope this helps.

Read more