when exactly do I start giving puree from 6 months? how do I know if baby is ready to eat? after introducing puree, how often do I feed milk? start with puree or? TIA

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

from wholesome baby food: signs that your baby might be ready for solids: - loss of tongue-thrust reflex – This allows baby to drink and swallow liquids with ease; with the tongue-thrust reflex still present, baby may simply drink in liquid purees or push the food back out. According to Dr. Jim Sears, in the first four months the tongue thrust reflex protects the infant against choking. When any unusual substance is placed on the tongue, it automatically protrudes outward rather than back. Between four and six months this reflex gradually diminishes, and that glob of cereal actually may have a chance of making it from the tongue to the tummy! - ability to let you know she is full from a “meal” with signs such as turning away from the bottle or breast. This is important so that baby is able to self-regulate the amount of food being eaten. This helps stop baby from accidentally overeating as parents may continue to feed baby thinking that she is still hungry. - ability to sit up and hold head up unassisted - interest in your food (I tend to disagree with this one as when a baby reaches the age of 4-6 months, he is interested in putting everything in his mouth.) - doubling of birth weight - frequently waking in the middle of the night when a solid sleeping pattern had been established. This may not be the best indicator that your baby is ready for solids. Please keep in mind that a growth spurt will occur between 3-4 months of age, 6-7 months of age and also 9-10 months of age. Your baby may also be waking due to an illness or teething.

Read more

5 and a half to 6 months is a good age to start puree. "Signs that your baby is ready for solids include: 1.They can stay in a sitting position and hold their head steady. 2.They can co-ordinate their eyes, hands and mouth so that they can look at the food, pick it up and put it in their mouth, all by themselves. 3.They can swallow food. Babies who aren’t ready will push their food back out, so they get more round their face than they do in their mouths." (NHS) Try fruits and veggies first and introduce one at a time. One week one type of veggie or fruit. This is to test for allergy. If you are breastfeeding, continue to breastfeed alongside the solids. Solids is not yet their main source of nutrition yet at this age and this is just to introduce them to the concept of solid foods. So if you are bf or giving formula, continue to do so. You can start with a teaspoon or two first of puree and then give milk afterwards, if he/she is still hungry. You don't have to feed 3 meals a day. Once will do at a time which suits both of you. You can increase the amount and frequency gradually. Take the cue from your baby. Hope this helps.

Read more

First, nurse or bottle-feed your baby. Then give him one or two teaspoons of pureed solid food. If you decide to start with cereal, mix it with enough formula or breast milk to make a semi-liquid. Use a soft-tipped plastic spoon when you feed your baby, to avoid injuring his gums. Start with just a small amount of food on the tip of the spoon. http://www.babycenter.com/0_introducing-solids_113.bc#articlesection2

Read more

Hi Huishan mummy, You can start off with rice cereal with formula milk, you can make it more dilute instead of too starchy. If you baby is willing to eat that. After 1 to 2 weeks, you can introduce vegetables puree. Try not to provide fruit puree as the initial food for baby as it is sweet and they may reject vegetables or cereal etc in the future :)

Read more

You can start by giving baby a table spoon or two of puree to try during meal times. I've heard of some mommies who add some bm or fm to smoothen the consistency of the puree and this also helps with the transition to solid foods.

when baby able to sit, & keep putting fingers inside his mouth. after a puree for lunch, next 3 hours feeding is milk. I will start with milk first.

1) baby has good head support 2) baby shows interest in putting things in mouth 3) milk feeds as normal :)

TapFluencer

Hi. You might find this article helpful https://sg.theasianparent.com/starting-solids-too-early

I start off with milk. Feed purée (mixed with BM) 30mins or 1 hour later.