What's the best way to stop a baby who breastfeeds from bitting/playing with the nipple?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

There are few reasons baby bites/plays with the nipple: 1. Biting at the end of a nursing session: baby normally is full already/not long interested in latching. Do watch for signs of boredom, and take baby from the breast before the biting starts. 2. When baby is teething: offer him/her a teething toy and tell him this is for biting, please be gentle when nursing. Repeat this for few times and he will get the idea.

Read more
VIP Member

Unlatch your baby immediately and chide her in a firm tone. She will then learn that if she bites, she doesn't get milk. Sometimes, babies bite down because the letdown is too fast. It might help to express out some milk before nursing, or changing your position. I usually nurse my baby lying down. http://sg.theasianparent.com/breastfeeding-teething-and-biting-babies/

Read more
VIP Member

Oh gosh, I experience this!!! And what's worse, my daughter likes to yank my nipple too! Ouch. But what I noticed is that she does this when I'm not looking (more like, distracted by my phone). So when I say "ouch" and look at her, I see her looking up at me and smiling a bit. So I've learned to focus on her, making eye contact, while I breastfeed. It helped stop the yanking.

Read more

Firstly I've learnt that reacting in a very big way by saying ouch only makes her bite harder because she thought I was playing with her! You should unlatch immediately when he bites and tell him firmly that if he bites he will not have any milk to drink. Another way is to maintain eye contact or play finger games with him while nursing. Singing a song may also work.

Read more

When my baby bites, I will unlatch him by gently pushing his chin downward. I will then give a sad face and say "no, no, no, mommy pain pain". After doing this a few times, he seems to understand what I mean and he never do it again. Babies are learning too. We have to slowly teach them what is right and wrong.

Read more

thanks