What can I do to get my 9 year old son to become more motivated in his studies?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, I have a young kid at home who is easily distracted, so the best way for me to make her take more interested in studies is to create a reward system. Instead of forcing or scolding kids to study, a better and more effective way is to incorporate it in the daily schedule and make it more of a structured activity. For instance, my daughter can watch her favourite television series only after she finishes all her homework. It is true that kids have a very small attention span, so I encourage her to take small breaks in between, but not more than a five or ten minutes’ break (as it can make her mind go off studies instead). Depending on the subject, you can also help your son do some basic online research that will help him learn more interesting facts and encourage him to study.

Read more

Fix a time for study daily. It can only for about half an hour to an hour. Let him study when he is fresh. Ask him to write and study if he finds reading boring. Sit with him and try to develop an interest in the subjects by giving day-to-day examples. Encourage him instead of scolding.