What food, drinks, or other environmental things should I avoid at this stage?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Here’s a rather comprehensive list of things to avoid in the first trimester (taken from: http://www.thehealthsite.com/pregnancy/what-precautions-should-i-take-during-the-first-trimester-pregnancy-query-of-the-day-k114/) - Don’t take any medication unless necessary. Medicines taken by you can cross the placenta and enter the bloodstream of your baby. Hence it’s best to know the safety of any medications you’re taking during pregnancy – especially in the first trimester. - Don’t be too adventurous with food. Foods to be avoided during pregnancy include raw/undercooked meat, soft cheese, seafood and raw eggs. They could be possible sources of harmful bacteria and parasite. - Reduce your exposure to environmental pollutants. - Quit smoking. Passive and active smoking during pregnancy increases the risk of health and behavioural problems in the baby and is linked to infant mortality. - Don’t drink alcohol. Alcohol can cross the placenta and reach your baby’s bloodstream. Excessive drinking impairs the mental and physical development of your baby, in what is known as foetal alcohol syndrome. - Don’t get stressed, depressed. High levels of stress can affect the unborn baby’s health and increase your chances of miscarriage. - Don’t go on diet while you’re pregnant. You may end up with deficiency of iron, folic acid, vitamins and minerals which can potentially harm you and your baby. - Don’t use hot tubs/ sauna. They can raise your core body temperature, which can cause dehydration and threaten the developing baby.

Read more

I think on top of the above mentioned by Hui Qun, it will safe to avoid food that are cold in nature (太凉) such as water melon, green bean soup, coconut drink andcold drinks, etc. According to Tradition Chinese Medicine, cold food led to contraction in the uterus and hence increase the risk of miscarriage.

Read more

thanks