What are some unique and effective ways to discipline a 1.5 year old?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Big eyes was my mom's go-to discipline method, followed by cause-and-effect. The big eyes were a warning and if we pushed through with the naughty behaviour, we were taught that this caused a an effect that hurt ourselves or other people. This was different from punishment as she really took time to explain to us what the negative effects of our actions were, as opposed to just doling out an unrelated punishment. This made us think twice the next time we wanted to repeat the negative behaviour.

Read more
VIP Member

I use a stern voice. I never hit. TBH, many times I wanted to hit or spank, but I felt it would just make things worse. Then I discovered that the stern voice was enough. Maybe because toddlers are used to that sing-songy tone we usually use to communicate with them, and they associate that sing-songy happy voice with fun and laughter, so when our tone changes, they realize something's wrong.

Read more

From what Ive seen my mom friends do, be stern when they get too much out of control. You obviously cant be absolutely strict but a friend of mine imitates her baby throwing tantrums when she does. Like last week her baby bit my friends hand and my friend too bit her baby's hand (a little hard.) The baby got the msg and doesn't do it... This way I think so would work.

Read more

A good way would be to employ the storytelling approach. If you want to make them understand something or prevent them from doing something they shouldn't, weave a story around the situation. Children find stories engaging and tend to learn faster from them. It is best advised to not raise your hand on children as it can affect them psychologically.

Read more

There's isn't a universal method that works for every child. What works for other parents might not work for you. But an effective approach to discipline is first and foremost you have to make your children understand what they have done and why it is wrong, and from there decide how best to discipline him or her.

Read more

I would suggest using a reward and punishment system. If they are well behaved, or help with household chores, then they are given pocket money. If they're disrespectful or stay out late without your permission etc, I would punish them by taking away their mobile phone, or reducing pocket money!

thanks