Understand that as we reach the end of pregnancy stage, we need to monitor fetal movement. How much movement must we detect from the fetus before we need to rush to the hospital? I have been feeling lesser and lesser fetal movement. I am at 39 weeks now.

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Here is the "count-to-ten" method to do the Kick Count (Download the graph from: http://www.babymed.com/pregnancy/fetal-kick-count-movements): -Count fetal movements once a day, preferably at the same time every day and within 1 to 2 hours after a meal. Early evening after dinner is a good time because the fetus is usually more active then. -Get a sheet of paper and pen to indicate the movements. -Have a clock or watch nearby to observe the time passed. -Lie on your side while counting, preferably on your left side. -Mark down the start time. -Count any movement you feel - a roll, a kick, or a "swish" - except for the smallest flutters. -Count until you have felt ten fetal movements. -Ideally, you want to feel at least 10 movements within 2 hours. Most likely you will feel 10 movements in much less time -Mark down the finish time, and the total amount of time it took to count the ten movements.. Just to share, I feel less movement suddenly around 39 weeks too. My gynae checked my baby and found that he was already engaged in the birth canal and thus his head was stucked there and unable to move much. If you are worried, you should not hesitate to tell your gynae about it.

Read more

By 39 weeks, your baby is about the size of a mini-melon and it will be quite cramped in the womb, hence there might not be as much movement but baby should still be active every now and then. A friend of mine would try to get baby's attention by rubbing her womb and talking to baby and in turn, baby usually responds by moving or giving a little kick. Keep monitoring baby's movements closely. Agree with the mommy above, if you feel something is odd, best to seek doctor's advice as soon as possible.

Read more

During my pregnancy especially in 3rd trimester, I constantly monitor my baby's movement and if on a particular day or time when I realised I have yet to feel the movement, I will sort of tap my bump and make sure I get one. Always consult your gyane if you feel something is wrong. Mummy's intuition is always correct.

Read more

Go to a nice quite place, lay on your left side to relax the body while breathing gently for 1hour. Within that hour you should feel your baby move at least 5 times. If this doesn't work try eating or drinking something sweet. Still not movement then contact your doctor ASAP.

thanks

VIP Member

Should be 10 times per hour