My toddlers got their ears pierced end June. they were 3 and 4.5yo. I just bought a new pair of earring for them. I checked my #1 pierce site was bleeding. There was dried blood at the back of her stud & it kept bleeding for a few hours. Is this normal? She avoided eating seafood such as prawn for at least 2 months. What should I do? She was the one who insisted to get her ears pierced. For my #2, her pierce site is fine. No problem.

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

This might be an allergy reaction to the metal. From the looks of it, she is likely to be allergic to metal alloys, which means she can only wear real gold/sliver earrings. I was exactly like her, so it’s best to get a pie of sterling sliver or surgical steel earring, and clean her ear with isopropyl alcohol (yes it is going to hurt, but it’ll disinfect the wound). Salt and warm water is great to clean that area daily too, as salt is an anti-bacterial, but remember to dry it and spray it with isopropyl alcohol after that just to disinfect it again. Alternatively, you can go to your PD and have them to check this problem

Read more

My baby has not got her ears pierced before but from my own piercing experience you gal may be allergic to the material of the earring. It happened to me and my earring got stuck in the dried blood and pus, so painful to remove them. Pls remove the earrings first and have her ears checked by PD first for open wound infection. After it heals you may want to consider buying earrings with materials that are pure for eg Pure silver, pure gold

Read more

Since it has been bleeding for so long, I would worry about infection. I would bring to the doctors to be on the safe side. I would also like to rule out if my child has any allergy towards to the contents in the ear rings.

8y ago

thanks for reply. previously there was no bleeding at all. I checked 3 weeks ago, her ears were fine. Is there still a chance of infection? will infection have fever?

VIP Member

Maybe the earring too tight or allergy to the material. Happens to me when young too.

VIP Member

Best to bring your child to the gp soon...

VIP Member

It's not normal