They say that you can't overfeed a breastfed baby. But my 4-month old always drinks everything I have to offer then spits out excess milk the moment she unlatches (milk literally dribbles out the corner of her mouth). How do I help her learn not to overeat? P.S. She's in the 90 percentile for weight and 50 percentile for height.

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

From what I've read, if you are breastfeeding on demand, your baby will not be overfed from breastfeeding. She will nurse when she is hungry or when she needs comfort. It is likely that your baby will start slowing down in the weight gain as she learns to move about more. Hence, you need not be too worried about her weight percentile. Spitting up after a feed is common for babies. Usually babies will be able to keep their food down by the time they learn how to sit up on their own.

Read more
VIP Member

Direct latch babies don't usually overfeed themselves unless they have a bit of reflux problem. In such cases babies may tend to take in more milk than they should. This is to soothe the irritation from the reflux.

Ah that's very helpful to know. Yes she has been seeing the pd for reflux since she was 7w old. And we're hoping her weight gain slows when she starts to crawl!