Experience the gift of sleep this Christmas

✨ Hello Super Parents! 👪 Semone Boyal here, and I'm beyond excited to dive into a topic that's close to every parent's heart – "All About Baby Sleep." 😴🍼 If you've ever found yourself wondering about the mysteries of your little one's sleep patterns, you're in for a treat! What's in store for you: 👶 Understanding your baby's sleep cycles and patterns. 💤 Proven tips and tricks for a restful night for your little one. 🤔 Answers to all your burning questions about baby sleep. 🙌 A supportive community to share your experiences and learn from others. ✨Make sure you drop the age of your little one into the chat when asking a question 📅 Date: 13 Dec, 2023 ⏰ Time: 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm 📍 Where: theAsianparent app (Make sure to have it downloaded!) So, let's make bedtime a dreamtime! 💫 Drop your questions below this post, and let's embark on this journey together. 💖👨‍👩‍👧‍👦

Experience the gift of sleep this Christmas
22 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I'm concerned about creating a safe sleep environment. What are the key factors to consider when setting up a sleep space for my baby?

5mo ago

Always place your baby on their back to sleep (not on their front or side). Keep your baby smoke-free during pregnancy and after birth. Place your baby to sleep in a separate cot or Moses basket in the same room as you for the first 6 months. Use a firm, flat, waterproof mattress that is in good condition. Keep your baby’s head uncovered – if they have a blanket, it should be tucked in no higher than their shoulders. Place your baby in the ‘feet to foot’ position, with their feet at the end of the cot or Moses basket.

I'm struggling with the transition from bassinet to crib. What steps can I take to make this change as smooth as possible for my baby?

5mo ago

Use the crib for naps - put bedding from the bassinet in there to make it feel familiar - you could put an item of clothing that has your scent on it, in the crib (ensuring you adhere to safe sleeping guidelines) which will also comfort your little one. While in the crib - sit with your little one and use voice and touch to help settle them. Over time they will feel more comfortable and you can remove these external aids.

I've noticed my baby tends to wake up frequently at night. What advice do you have for improving his nighttime sleep duration?

5mo ago

This is probably due to daytime routine which is making your little one either overtired (build up of cortisol) or under-tired. Respond to your littles one sleepy cues, making sure they are in bed ready for sleep before he/she gets overtired. The other issue could be sleep associations (need an external aid to sleep and therefore doesn’t yet know how to connect sleep cycles). Without knowing your little ones age it is difficult for me to provide you with a guide schedule but please do email me at [email protected] if you want to discuss or look into my tailored packages.

I've read about the importance of a sleep-friendly environment. What elements contribute to an ideal sleep space for babies?

5mo ago

Lots of things that can help : Always place your baby on their back to sleep (not on their front or side). Keep your baby smoke-free during pregnancy and after birth. Place your baby to sleep in a separate cot or Moses basket in the same room as you for the first 6 months. Use a firm, flat, waterproof mattress that is in good condition. Keep your baby’s head uncovered – if they have a blanket, it should be tucked in no higher than their shoulders. Place your baby in the ‘feet to foot’ position, with their feet at the end of the cot or Moses basket.

My baby seems to be a light sleeper. Are there techniques for creating a sleep environment that minimizes disturbances?

5mo ago

White noise is excellent for blocking our external noise - ensuring the room is completely dark can also help - the temperature of the room can also be a factor in a little one waking up. I’d also say that thinking our little ones are light sleepers can often mask an issue with self settling. Does your little one get to sleep by themselves and without any external sleep aids eg feeding / rocking etc? If so, then please refer to the tips i mention above - if not, you may need to consider some form of sleep teaching which I can definitely support you with. Email me at [email protected] if you would like to discuss further.

My baby often falls asleep while breastfeeding. How can I gently transition her to falling asleep independently?

5mo ago

It’s great that you realise this is something that could require a little support - the best way will be to tickle her toes - blow gently on her face etc to stop her falling asleep. This way you will be moving into her being out to sleep independently of feeding. This is key in transitioning to independent sleep. If you want to start working on this it is imperative that she is put to sleep awake and then comforted by you to fall asleep - this can be with touch or your voice. Over a few days you will see signs that you can start to gradually remove your intervention and move further away from her - and over two weeks she should be able to happily fall asleep independently. This is a very gently approach. If you’d like to discuss a tailored package of support - unique to your child and sleep goals - please do email me at [email protected]

As a parent, how can I distinguish between normal sleep patterns and signs of potential sleep issues in my baby?

5mo ago

If your child is waking happy and alert, able to interact and play then I would say there aren’t necessarily sleep concerns. Depending on their age, if they are waking more than you would expect, this could be a sign of issues with self - settling. Without more information about your little ones age and their routine it is difficult to provide more tailored guidance. If you would like to discuss further and understand more tailored support I can provide please email me at [email protected]

Are there any specific bedtime rituals or cues that can help signal to my baby that it's time to sleep?

5mo ago

Oh what a great question - in short YES! You can create any routine to signal sleep to your little one but the key is consistency. If you do it often enough, it will signal sleep. An example is : - start to wind down the day about an hour before your desired bedtime (turn off external stimulates and start to quieten the routine) - have a word that signals sleep is coming, make sure you use this consistently throughout the routine so they’re not surprised when they find themselves in bed - read a story / sing a song - put them in bed awakw

How do I navigate changes in my baby's sleep needs as she goes through different developmental stages?

5mo ago

In one word - consistency! If you stay consistent with your routines and don’t introduce need habits that are not sustainable long term you should be able to weather any blips in sleep due to developmental leaps.

In situations where my baby refuses to nap, how can I encourage a more restful daytime sleep routine?

5mo ago

If your little one is refusing to nap - the environment may be a factor (make sure it is quiet/ dark/ right temperature) but what is more likely to be the issue is his/her routine is causing over or under tiredness. I would need to know your little ones age to better advise you so please do email me at [email protected] if you’d like to discuss further.