Are you breastfeeding and struggling with low milk supply?

Drop your questions below this post. ⚠️ 🍼 Are you a new mom struggling with low milk supply? OR maybe looking to enhance your breastfeeding journey? 🤱 Whatever your situation, I've got great news for you! Join me for an exclusive #AskTheExpert session, where we'll dive deep into the below topic: 📣 Topic: "Overcoming Low Milk Supply During Breastfeeding." 🤱 🗓️ Date: 13th September, 2023 🕒 Time: 8pm to 9pm Here's what you can expect: 🔍 In-depth insights into the causes of low milk supply. 🌱 Practical tips and techniques to boost your milk production. 🤗 Emotional support and guidance to help you on this beautiful journey. 🙋‍♀️ A safe space to ask all your burning questions. Mark your calendars, and get your questions ready!

Are you breastfeeding and struggling with low milk supply?
24 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My baby is currently 9 days old and had been through phototherapy for jaundice. My current BM supply is still very low, could only pump the most 20ml from both breast per session. I was forced to introduce FM while continuing limited BM to meet his needs per feed of about 60-80ml. At the same time my baby also have tongue tie and I am trying my best to lead him to latch properly, but he could only have a few slightly stronger suckles before falling asleep which then becomes light nibbling of my nipples partially covering my whole aerola. I don’t know if he is actually taking enough from my breasts. Currently BF once every 2 or 3 hours depending on baby’s need and I will continue to use pump to express out as much after baby latch for 20min each side. The short intervals are making me having not enough rest sometime I will just fall into deep sleep and have to skip a session. May I have some advise on my situation please.

Read more
8mo ago

I have already been through 3 sessions of LC and they don’t find any issue with my baby latching. Always got it at one go. He just simply fall asleep very easily. Should I just let him BF every 2 hourly and do away the pumping to express out the “remaining stock” or continue to do all 3 steps BF, EBF and FM every 3 hourly? At the same time, my nanny always want to top up FM for him on every feed so he could have a nicer and longer sleep over the night, sometimes he may sleep more than 3 hours. Should I also wake him up to latch when it’s the time?

I find it difficult to express enough milk when pumping. Are there any techniques or tips you can recommend for efficient pumping sessions.

8mo ago

Hi mama, I see you and the love you have for your baby, to want to produce the best nutrition for him! The secret to increasing milk output when pumping is to RELAX and here's how you can do so - - Sit comfortably, for a start - Gently massage your breasts before pumping - Hand express some milk for 1-2 minutes before and after pumping - Look at your baby's photos / videos or watch a comedy while pumping (anything to keep you relaxed) - Enjoy a cup of warm drinks and snacks while pumping - Request a back massage from your spouse while pumping Some things to note if you are pumping regularly: - Check that your pump parts are regularly replaced; wear and tear can affect milk output. - Check that you have got the right flange sizes - Get a hands-free bra to double pump - Try power-pumping - Take milk boosters for supplementation Hope the above helps!

I've struggled with low milk supply after my first child. Can you share some common reasons behind it, and how can I address them?

8mo ago

Hi there! You must feel quite frustrated and demoralised by the low milk supply. I truly hope my answer will help shed some light! There are two types of low milk supply - perceived low milk supply and actual low milk supply. Perceived low milk supply is often due to: - Incorrect breastfeeding techniques and poor latch - A delay to kickstart breastfeeding after childbirth - Prolonged feeding / pumping intervals - Mistaking baby's fussiness at breastfeeding for lack of milk (fussiness could be due to so many other reasons) Actual low milk supply may be due to: - Medical conditions - Physiological conditions The very first step is to speak with an IBCLC to determine if the low milk supply situation is perceived or actual. It is only through that proper strategies can be put in place to support your breastfeeding journey and goals. Hope this helps!

For mothers who exclusively pump, what strategies can help them maintain and increase their milk supply?

8mo ago

Hi Jessica! Thank you for your question! For mums who exclusively pump, here are my recommendations: - Ensure that milk is regularly removed from the breasts according to a baby's nursing interval i.e. pumping every 2-3 hours just like how a newborn will nurse, to build the milk supply. - Kickstart the process right after birth of removing colostrum through hand expression to get the milk production going - Breast massages before pumping are helpful - Hand compressions can help to increase milk flow - Check that you have the right pump parts - Drink plenty of water, take a healthy diet and rest aplenty to keep your milk supply up! The foundational strategy remains as always - more milk removed from breasts, more milk produced. To increase and maintain milk supply, you'd have to work on removing the milk first. Hope this helps!

What are the benefits of skin-to-skin contact with baby and how it can help stimulate milk production?

8mo ago

Hi Julia! Thank you for your questions! I'd try to answer both at the same time. Skin-to-skin has SO many benefits! It can be done by both the mum and the dad. On top of bonding, skin-to-skin provides immediate regulation for your newborn - body temperature, blood sugar, breathing pattern. And of course, skin-to-skin helps to release oxytocin that helps with milk flow. This will kickstart a positive breastfeeding experience when your baby finds the milk flowing more readily when he suckles. It is overall an excellent way to get breastfeeding started!

When to introduce solid foods to my baby while ensuring it doesn't affect my milk supply negatively?

8mo ago

Hi Julia! According to World Health Organisation (WHO)'s guidelines, solids are to be introduced at 6 months of age while continued breastfeeding is encouraged for up to two years. As your baby starts eating solids, it is part of the process that your breast milk supply will drop due to a drop in demand. If you are nursing regularly still, your body will continue to make the amount of milk your baby needs as long as your baby is still allowed to nurse whenever the opportunity arises. You can also continue to upkeep your milk supply through pumping. Hope this explains!

I've heard about using herbal supplements or medications to increase milk supply. Are these safe?

8mo ago

Hi there! There isn't sufficient research on the effectiveness of herbal supplements and medications on breastfeeding, neither have they been proven safe. Our best recommendation is to check with your doctor before taking these supplements to clear any medical concerns! To build milk supply, the demand-supply concept still applies. If you are breastfeeding / pumping at regular intervals and yet still face a challenge, you may want to check the suitability of your pump parts. Do seek help if you need further clarification!

May I know how/ where do I tune in for this #AskTheExpert session?

8mo ago

How do I tune in your 8-9pm session today??😅 is there a link for me to click to listen to your session?

Please share strategies for breastfeeding premature babies with low birth weights.

8mo ago

Hi there, I just want to share that breastfeeding is one of the best things you can do for a baby who is premature. You are doing a wonderful thing for giving your baby your best! Here are some strategies we recommend in such a case: - Within 6 hours of birth, kickstart breastfeeding by breast / nipple stimulation and hand expression to remove colostrum from your breasts. - Continue to remove milk from your breasts regularly, either through hand expression or pumping, to build and maintain your milk supply - Double pumping helps with building your milk supply - Hand expression before and after pumping signals to your body to make more milk - Use a hospital grade pump and check that your flange fit is right Having lots of skin-to-skin interactions with your baby, as well as Kangaroo care, help with building your milk supply too! So whenever your baby's condition has stablised, make your request for skin-to-skin. Breastfeeding a premature baby may feel challenging as he or she may

How does breast compression work, and when to use to maximize milk supply?

8mo ago

Hi Jessica, thank you for these questions! Breast compressions don't actually help to maximise milk supply; they help with milk flow, hence, usually after breast compressions, you'd notice "more" milk and that's because the milk in your breasts is able to flow out more smoothly. Breast compressions can be done when you're nursing or pumping as they increases the flow of the milk. They are especially helpful for babies with poor weight gain, babies for nurse very frequently, babies who nurse for very long periods (45 mins and over) and premature babies. Hope this explains!