Should I send my 18 months daughter to a half-day or a full-day pre-school/enrichment centre or should I wait till she's older before putting her in for such long hours?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

It depends on your schedule. If you are working and there is no caretaker to look after your child if she attends a half-day program, then you only can place her in full day. Ideally, if I had flexible working options and work from home, I would choose to place my child in a half-day program so I can use the rest of the day to build up on what she learnt in school and spend the rest of the day bonding. If you have no choice but to place her in full day, then do go for a trial class to see if your daughter likes the place. Also take extra notice of the teachers and how they interact with the children. It'll be even better if you are able to observe the school from outside on a normal working day.

Read more

Start with half day cc first for at least 1 month then gradually convert to full day cc. This is a more gentle transition for a new environment. If you are not working or have other family member to look after your child at home, half day cc is sufficient as most of the curriculum are executed in the morning. Afternoon schedule are mostly nap, snack and light activities. In addition, it is good for the child to bond with yourself/grandparents at home.

Read more

I guess, you should wait till she is a bit older for the full-day pre-school. You can kick off with a half-day. She would take time to adjust there and you yourself would not want to put her in full-day. I remember putting my daughter when she was almost the same age as your kid and she cried so much for initial few days that I had almost thought the idea of picking up a job. And even I had just joined I had to take a 10 day break to get her settled.

Read more

If your daughter has never been in a childcare or infant care I suggest to start her off half day so length of separation from you is not too much for her to handle. By the time she is coping well in half day then you can increase the hours by putting her in a full day programme. That way she will not be too overwhelmed and it also gives you time to adapt to a new schedule.

Read more
VIP Member

Hi Wendy, I would suggest to start off with a half day school first. After she's more settled in, you can transit to full day. It will be easier for her to adapt this way.

thanks

if you can afford, better to put her in a play school

sy nk penjelasan,krna sy tak tahu