Should I be friends with my kids?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I'd say it's possible but I reckon it will only come into fruition when the child is older. For me personally, the younger years should be filled with positivity but it is also an age to draw boundaries, instill discipline, morals and values. If you are too much of a "friend", more than you are a parent, it might get in the way. My mom and me are best friends but it was not always that way. She worked alot when we were kids and when she was not working, she was quite the tiger mom, strict and rather scary haha. When I reached my teens, we were always at odds (puberty hah!) We started being super close when I was in my late teens, during my JC years. I think by then, she realised she did not have to worry so much about me and by the time I got into university, we could pretty much share secrets and became solid friends. Now, I consider her one of my best friends, but always my mother.

Read more

Yes, you can. Maybe the of your children 12 and above cos this is the age that they growing up and be a youth. They well be sensitive everything, like words and action. Words mean you scold them we can't scold them or scram at them at this age, talk to them make them like friends tell them they are wrong don't so it again. Action mean beat them, we can't beat them like they young caning is no use they will be more rebellious.

Read more

Yes of cause, my boy and me just like friends. We chit chat and play game together, I myself feel that be friend with kid is good that you will know what they are doing and they will also willing to tell you their everything. But one thing is 你可以疼她/他,但你不能宠。

Yes we should ... I tell my daughter I'm her first BFF until the day I die haha .... This really works when she is facing problem at school, so that they won't be afraid to tell us everything ☺