Recently, I had a subtle displeasing incident where I was planning to make a trip to my brother's home and his wife did not respond well because she did not want me at their place because their 8 year old son's exams were going on. My husband, my daughter and I were planning to go for just one day, and that too on a weekend. I felt very bad when she did not showed any welcoming attitude which is why I cancelled my programme and my husband went as he had some official work. I felt hurt and I do not feel like talking on regular basis to her like I used to do. I am feeling I should maintain distance as she changed her attitude towards me for just a tiny thing. Do you think I am right?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I know, when such things happen with people whom you consider very close, it does upset you. I think you can take your time to feel better. I can visibly feel through your question that you are hurt right now. So, when we are hurt, there is no need to walk away from the emotions you are feeling. Take your time, and if you do not feel like talking to your SIL for sometime, do not. Probably when you will not talk to her as often as you do, she would realise that she should not have behaved the way she did. If you were close then instead of diplomatically making you cancel your programme, she could have straightaway told you to make your trip later sighting the reason that if you will come now during her kid's exam, she fears that he won't study and will not do good. Anyway, let us forget what has gone by. I suggest, do not over think now. Whenever you are ready to hold a normal heart to heart conversation with her, have it, and then can express that you did not like her behaviour. And if by then, your heart has healed on its own, no need to bring the topic back. People whom we love, sometimes, do not meet our expectations, and it happens with each and everyone.

Read more