Should parents influence their children's career choices?
Should parents influence their children's career choices?
Voice your Opinion
Yes. Parents know what is best for their children
No. Children have the right to choose their own career and pursue their dreams

1045 responses

31 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

yes and no. when i was young, my ambition changes with every tv serial i’ve watched. i believe it’s the same for the kiddos as well. instead of influencing, i would say take time to let your LO explore their interest and find out what they truly loved. Jobs in TV serials may only show the wow side of a work but not the meh side of it.

Read more

Parents serve as a major influence in their children's career development and career decision- making. ... Research also indicates that when students feel supported and loved by their parents, they have more confidence in their own ability to research careers and to choose a career that would be interesting and exciting.

Read more

This is hard. I would say parents can give their opinions however they should not force and decide on the child's career. My parents never pushed me into doing something but of course they did voice out the job that they wished I would do.

of course if that's what my child wants, i'll accept it. but i'd still give my advice, my child will be old enough to think for themselves

I think the family can sit down and talk but everyone should be responsible for their own life choices once they’re adults

The child should always be able to make his choice but parents can also help the child decide because of their experience

Parents can provide suggestion based on their knowledge of careers and their child's aptitude/interests

If they are confused or have absolutely no idea, then I’ll of course give my advice

If you’re disregarding your child’s dreams and enforcing your own, then no

VIP Member

You can give suggestions and ideas but the decision making should be by them