Any parents here give their infant probiotics? When did you start giving them and what effect did you see? I gave my Gal (6 weeks) pro biotics and that day she didn't pass motion. Thank you!

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

For infants, it is best to check with the doctor before giving any supplements. This is because breast milk usually contain sufficient nutrients for the baby. I have also read that probiotics could pass through breast milk. Therefore, if the nursing mother consume food high in probiotics, it is likely that baby could benefit from it through his/her mummy's milk. One of my friend's son was prescribed probiotics by her pediatrician for her son's diarrhea. But her son was 7 months old when this happened. So not too sure about infants.

Read more

I wouldnt advise you to give anything to baby unless prescribed by a pd. Babies are on the whole very vulnerable. If baby has not passed motion and you are concern, it would be a better to take her to the doctors. All the best and hope all is well.

I gave my child LactoGG since she's 8 months old to help with her eczema. She did not have any bowels issue with LactoGG. If you experience bowel issues, you can try reducing the dosage before slowly increasing to the amount that you need.

Hi Shirlaine, is your LO fully breastfed or formula fed? I wouldn't give probiotics or anything else unless the pedia specifies. Breastmilk contains all the nutrients your baby needs and so does formula, if she's formula fed.

I have read that probiotics may help colic. It did improve her colic but end up did not Poo for one day when she usually poos Everyday. Understood from my Friends that it is normal to go without poo-Ing for 3 days for babies

I gave my LO probiotics from 6 months as well because she was having really bad reflux. Doc prescribed to let her have a "happier" tummy. He did say we could continue giving her as supplement.

It came to my knowledge that probiotics are also an anti-diarrhoea supplement. I give it to my children only when they have diarrhoea and it will stop quickly.

I gave my baby probiotics since 1 month old. So far no changes in her bowel movement.

I gave my girl probiotics when she was 2 weeks old and her colic improved.

why did u give probiotic?