Hi Parents. My girl is currently at Nursery level full day program at My First Skool. I have just received MOE kindergarten letter to notify a placement for her in Jan 2018. Need to response whether to accept the placement by end of May. In dilemma whether to switch. I have selected the AM session at Moe kindergarten so school will start from 8am to 12noon. After which she will be brought to the MOE kindergarten care (kcare) till 7pm. I'm more concerned on the language skill. As our family is mandarin speaking, my girl does not have a good foundation of English. And she's not exposed to reading at home (I'm starting soon) Although now she can speak basic English and able to understand and communicate with current teachers and friends. Which school will be better if my concern is to build up and improve on my girl's English. By the way, she is turning 4 years old end may. Also, any guidance on how I can start at home teaching my girl the languages and interest in reading? I'm really clueless. My work require me to work late even at home. My kids will be asleep by then so it's tough to bond let alone teach. I have a 2 yr old son, very active. During weekend, it's also hard to find time to teach my girl as my son will be disturbing us. Hubby at work so I can't leave my son alone. Any idea how I can teach my girl without having my son disturbing. Sorry for my long post......

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

MOE kindergarten vs MyFirstSkool? I will opt for MOE kindergarten. Languages. Children pick up fast so long as they are exposed to it. Try playing English nursery rhymes and keep them on the loop while both of your children play. Read stories to both of them at the same time ie Uh-oh Dodo, the very hungry caterpillar, books authored by Dr Seuss etc. These books are colourful and engaging. No time to go library? Purchase second hand or online from www.bookdepository.com (free shipping worldwide). Somehow to really engage your children to enjoy both languages, one of you have to rotate and make sacrifices. If everything falls on one, no matter what solution, nothing will last cos that one person will breakdown somehow. Constant exposure to languages will help your child to pick it up quickly and easily. You just have to keep speaking. Even if you send her for music lessons or social skills development or sensory classes ie tickle your senses (http://tickleyoursenses.sg) or People's Impact (http://www.people-impact.com.sg) or Yamaha or Kindermusik, these classes are in English and your child will be listening to and communicating in English. Send her for trial classes (http://www.todaygotclass.com) and observe how she is doing. Most classes for her age is for drop off.

Read more

Why exclude ur Son? Can try and engage both to learn n play together... need not be boring just plain reading or really studying studying kind.. can be like reading story book to both n ask them what's inside the book ? Say find the xxx ? Where is the xxx? Or what Colour is xxxx? Expose them to single words sing along songs need not on YouTube if you do not wish to.. or play some simple puzzles block games duplo build somethings n then they can learn too .. even a simple walk outside you can teach your kids about the things you see .. don't assume they know simple things say what's on the road ? What vehicles you saw? Traffic lights Colours etc.. even weather or trees birds etc

Read more
VIP Member

Probably my method is the wrong way. But i on phonics video on youtube for my elder to learn and brush up his eng language. This way my 2nd child can also pick it up.