Any MOE Teacher currently pregnant? Fellow colleague need advice…

Hi, any MOE teacher mommy here? I teach in a secondary school, and usually can only leave school at 4pm. I'm a FTM in my first trim and seeing gynae at KKH under subsidised route. I was given an appointment to do counselling for down syndrome tests and blood test next Monday at 12pm. However, as the appointment does not involve seeing a doctor, there won't be an MC issued. May I know what kind of leave do you take in such a situation? Since we don't have annual leave. My RO is aware of my pregnancy but she is not very happy when I leave early or when I am not in school. She is the kind where we need to report to school to Zoom in school even though we are attending a full day course. Cannot Zoom at home. For the previous appointment where I left early at 11am, she was very unhappy. So next appointment I took MC (first MC of the year), and she went on and on about how it's not a good idea again when she found out the MC was for gynae appointment. She even blamed me for not scheduling appointment after work or during weekends. But KKH does not have weekends or late appointments after 4pm. On top of that, I cannot request timing as this is a public hospital, I'm under subsidy and with the covid situation. Sigh. #1stimemom #pleasehelp #advicepls #pregnancy

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi there mama, Am not in the teaching service anymore but was in your position some time back. Can definitely identify. I suggest that after this you arrange for a talk with your RO. Let her know that she has given you no choice but to take an MC. If she’s not going to allow you to take time off to go for your checkups which is an entitlement, then you see taking an MC is your only option. Also, let her know that you’re aware of her unhappiness regarding leaving early for doctors appointments. Then, ask her what she proposes is the best arrangement so that you are doing right by your job and her. Erm if I might add, on your end you need to do your part as well to try to schedule appointments at better times. I realise this is the subsidised route but at least ask and try. So that when you are asked the question, you can say you’ve tried. If rescheduling cannot be done, give early notice so that relief can be arranged. If possible, try to arrange relief for yourself. Get pally with level and subject heads. The more people on your side, the easier this gets. When your RO provides the solution, let it sit. If you think it’s reasonable, go ahead and make a fair comprimise. If it isn’t, I would advise that you make an appointment with your principal and convey your concerns to him/her. Tell them that you really want to do your job as a teacher well, but it seems almost impossible when you are also worried about your own health and are not given provisions to care for yourself and unborn baby. Tell them that you’re on a subsidised route at KKH, explain the limitations. You may also add that you’re a FTM and you’d rather not inflict any additional stress on your unborn child. To end, add that you’re worried that this incident may cause your performance appraisal to take a hit and you hope that it doesn’t. Because in all fairness, pregnancy should be a joyful and happy event and shouldn’t be a bane that you regret for the rest of your life. If push comes to shove, write a letter to your cluster sup to say you are at a loss and are not sure what to do. The COVID situation is stressful enough on Teachers and this added stress has you wondering if as a teacher, you’re being valued. It is your right. Find your voice and if you’re doing your job as a teacher, you’ve covered your bases, theres nothing stopping you :) All the best mama

Read more

Sorry to hear abt ur predicament! I'm a pri sch teacher and had my firstborn in Dec last year. Luckily for me though, my RO and sch leaders are supportive. I went to private gynae tho and managed to hve appts mostly on Sat but on days when my hubby cldn't make it on Sat, I scheduled appt on a wkday when I have the least number of teaching periods and try to swap lessons with another subject teacher whenever I cld. Wld give abt a week's notice for relief arrangement. My RO never objected. You may want to try to ask for medical leave w/o mc as we're entitled to 2 per year. If your RO objects, I think the only way for u is to bring it up to ur P. Those tests are impt for ur pregnancy and let him/her know tt u tried to schedule aft sch or on wkends but cldnt. My colleagues who were on subsidised route too also told me tt it is indeed hard to get appts. Most of them wld ask for early release or come in late and the P shld approve it.

Read more