One a baby has had hfmd is he immune to it or can they get it again?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It is possible that a baby can get hand foot and mouth diease again after getting it once. Like flu, there are different strains of hfmd, so the baby will not be immuned to the virus after having it once. It is also highly contagious since it can easily spread through body fluid. The first sign is usually fever (and not the rashes). Practice good hygiene to avoid catching it. My three-year-old nephew recently got it and my cousin went through a difficult week having to take care of him and trying hard to prevent his 10month old sister from getting it as well. She had to constantly wash hands and change clothes. Still, both her and the younger one fell prey to the virus. Hope you won't have to go through that too!

Read more

Yes, it's a viral contagious disease that unfortunately can strike again if the child comes in contact with an infected child. My daughter caught it twice in the period of 3 months, and it was such a crazy period for us. She was 5 years old then, so she was able to tell us where it hurts/itches and she kept saying that she doesn't want to eat cause it hurts. The 2nd time round when she caught it again, she simply had no mood to do anything and cried because she thought that there was something "wrong" with her and she couldn't go to school. Her kindergarten was closed for about 2 weeks because there were other kids who were infected with HFMD as well.

Read more

a lot of babies get immune to the virus that caused hfmd once they have it for the first time. But because the disease can be caused due to various factors, it is possible that a baby can get it again. it is a very contagious disease that easily spreads through secretions from the nose, mouth, through the fluid in blisters and also through feces. as a result, it can affect a baby again, even if baby has already suffered from it earlier. i would suggest you read up a bit more about it here https://www.cdc.gov/features/handfootmouthdisease/index.html

Read more

Yes it's possible that your child can get hfmd in the future. I'm not sure if there's a vaccine to prevent it like flu shots.

thanks