My son just turned 1 and he is getting very bored with his toys at home. Besides Julia Gabriel which is too far for me, any suggestions for classes to bring him to?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

If you do a Google search, you'll find many centres which offered parent-accompanied classes. If distance is priority, then search for a centre closer to home. Then search & read reviews by other parents and go for a trial class first if unsure. My elder girl went for Julia Gabriel playgroup and Shichida before. My younger one went for Leap Schoolhouse & Gymboree. To be honest, I just want them to interact with other kids while at the same time, have structured bonding time with them. Out of those I tried, I still prefer Julia Gabriel as the teachers were very good and the Programme was more structured. The Teachers speak proper English. As for those brain training classes like Shichida & Heguru, it's very good if you have time to do a lot of follow-up at home (like doing flash cards). My girl didn't enjoy going and I was too lazy to do extra work at home so those classes were not beneficial but I did pick up some learning ideas & activities I could try at home. Eventually, I found all these classes too costly if all I wanted was for them to have more social interaction with other kids. I also started joining those play dates organised by other mummies and organised my own play dates with friends who have kids around the same age. As for learning, I read a lot of books, played wooden puzzles and brought her outdoors to see new things. Just remember to go for a trial class if unsure which class to sign up for. Preferably go for a trial class conducted by the same teacher if you eventually decide to sign up after trial. Beside the programme, I think having a well-trained & engaging teacher or trainer is another critical factor.

Read more