My husband is being asked to work in Japan for a year and was given the option to bring the family along. However, my girl has just settled in her new school and I am currently working also and in a dilemma if we should follow him there. What would you advice me if you are in such situation?

35 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My husband was posted to China for a year when my 2nd son was 2 months old and I decided not to follow him after considering the air pollution level and education in China, as the workplace is very far away from the main city. In addition the 2nd child was too young. However, my elder daugther who was about 4 years old missed her daddy very much and had some behavioral changes within that year. It was a emotional roller coaster year for me, my daugther and my husband as we really missed each other very much. My husband regretted on his decision to go China and could have spend more time with his children. It was really tough to separate from husband, and kids with their daddy. Thus, if your daugther is still not yet entering into primary school, you should follow your husband to go. 1. Young kids adapt very fast in new environment. My daugther changed a few preschools and yet can settle down very fast. Also, I believe Japan has good education available and if no, you can choose to homeschool her for 1 year. 2. It is good to let your kid to expose to different cultures when young. It will be a good exposure for her. 3. It is good to let your husband spend time with you and your daugther together in Japan. Although 1 year sounds not too long, but going through the separation is not really easy to handle. 4. You can consider to apply for 1 year no pay leave from your company. If your company does not allow, you can consider to find a new job after back to Singapore. Money can be earned anytime but family time is priceless.

Read more