My husband is being asked to work in Japan for a year and was given the option to bring the family along. However, my girl has just settled in her new school and I am currently working also and in a dilemma if we should follow him there. What would you advice me if you are in such situation?

35 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

see if it is a temporary thing for a year, then maybe it makes sense that he goes there and you stay back with the kid. otherwise, if you really want, you can take a year long break for yourself as well as for your kid, if she is in a very young class, and maybe enjoy the experience of living in a new country and culture for a year.

Read more

if you are looking for a practical answer, maybe it is best if he shifts and then once he settles in, you and your child can go for some time and stay there. let him be there for the year, while you both carry on with work and school. after the year, in case he wants to stay back, then you can take a call.

Read more

I suggest, that if you have a good support system here at your place, stay where you are. But if that is not the case then you should accompany your husband because family as a structure is very important for your child as well. Kids are very adaptable in nature and she will do.

New place new life. Im indonesian and stay in japan about 4 years.. i love japan very much and then i move again to korea for 2 years.. different country also different story and i enjoy it in every little step. Because Its all about adaptation.

VIP Member

It really depends on the age of the child and how easily she adapts to new surroundings. In most cases I would recommend against uprooting a child's full life for a short stint.

It’s going to be a memorable adventure. Go for it. Yes, it will be challenging. Yet I have no doubt thats just going to make you a stronger mommy.

Family is all what matters. Join your husband and start new experiences and memories. Career could follow at the right time. 😊

go with him!! this chance is rare :) and your baby can learn japanese language and get new friends, many unusual memories!! Enjoy😍

make your child flexible and more your child will move more adjustable he will be .

Let him go first you can then make arrangement to join him maybe after a year or so