my edd is on 18th of Feb! im getting a job soon BUT i have not told my company that im pregnant. but sadly they informed me that if i were to be pregnant, they are reluctant to employ me coz if i were to take my 4 months maternity leave, they will loose money.( to pay the staff to relief me) . man i felt discouraged. sigh :(

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Curious on how you even managed to hide the bump in your job interview process. I guess that's why they were upfront about their pregnancy policy? If you see it from a companies pov, employing a pregnant woman in her third trimester is indeed risky. She could go into labour at any moment. The company does not have to worry about the 4 months paid leave as you would not be entitled to the cover (as you need to be employed above 6 months in that company, to be eligible for that) I think their main worry would be the downtime of not having you around. If they are interviewing for this position, means they have a need for this head count - so if you are on leave, they need to hire someone to cover. I agree with one of the mummies below who suggested freelance work. You could also try to be a trainer? I know some mums who offer the following services: 1. FDW trainer - they help other working mummies train up their FDW and teach them how to make beds properly, clean the house, set routines etc 2. Cooking teacher - you can teach other mums, uni students or even FDWs 3. Lactation cookie baker - you can sell the cookies to breastfeeding mums. Wishing you the best of luck and a great delivery.

Read more

Actually if you don't mind I have a lot of baby stuff to give/sell away leh. My kid was born in 2011 and I'm getting rid of the changing table, walker, clothes, Medela breastpump, etc. Even nursing/maternity wear!

Have you tried looking for a job that allows you to work from home?

thanks