My child is having high fever for the past 2 nights and the doc have asked me to collect urine sample so we could check if it is a UTI. Any idea how to take a good amount of sample?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

How old is your child? For young kids who isn't toilet trained, they will be given a pee bag to be pasted across their genitals. Before taping the pee bag, their genitals will be clean by sterile water to prevent cross contamination. For older kids who are toilet trained, get them to start peeing, only capture the middle flow of the pee. They only need a small amount of urine for them to do the test. Below is an article for urine sample collection which you may refer too. http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/how-should-i-collect-and-store-a-urine-sample.aspx?CategoryID=69&SubCategoryID=692

Read more

I had to do this once and this is what I did - I got my baby to sit on a potty and pass urine. After that, I collected it into the container the hospital had given me. She was already going on the toilet seat, so it wasn't difficult getting her to go on the potty.

thanks