My bb is fully breastfed but I'm planning to mix fm n Bm soon for her to try. Is there a method to do tis? THX:)

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

This is what I did for a start, I feed my baby whatever breast milk I've expressed, and then follow that up with couple of ounces of formula if I need it. Subsequently, I replace one or two feeds with formula milk instead of usual breastmilk. While there's nothing wrong with mixing breast milk and formula in the same container, it's not recommended simply because you don't want to waste a single drop of your precious breast milk. Formula from a bottle that your baby has drunk from must be discarded within an hour of preparation. Breast milk, on the other hand, will "keep," refrigerated, for a number of hours in a bottle that's been fed. So, for example, if you mix 2 ounces of expressed breast milk with 2 ounces of formula, and your baby only drinks 2 ounces altogether, you'll have to throw the leftovers out, wasting some of the breast milk. Please do not mix powdered formula with breast milk in order to increase the calories the baby gets during a feeding. Not only does it change the composition of the breast milk, but the micronutrients in the formula will become so much more concentrated that it can be very hard on your baby's immature kidneys. Always follow the exact directions on the can of powdered or concentrated formula, and never mix formula with anything but distilled water.

Read more

One of my friends did a mix as she was worried that her baby would not like the taste of the formula milk. She first started with 3 parts BM and one part FM, then gradually increased the FM proportion.