My 6 week old baby has been sleeping the whole day , only wakes up for feeding. Should I wake her up in the day so that she can sleep at night?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Having spent the last nine months of his/her existence in a dark environment, a newborn does not know the difference between day and night when he/she is first exposed to the world. That being said, a baby will be able to grasp the concept within the first few weeks. A parent can help a baby make the connection of associating sleep when it is dark and being awake when it is light through the following: - spend time outside (in the light) when the baby is awake to help set the baby’s internal clock to adapt to responding to light - differentiate between daytime naps and nighttime sleep. Make the environment for naps less dark and not as quiet (e.g., let her nap in a room with the curtains open and allowing daytime ambient noise to continue around him/her) - at night, establish a bedtime routine as early as possible, keep the room as dark and quiet as possible after the night bath and night feed. It is still expected that the baby will wake frequently throughout the night for feeding as he/she is simply responding to his/her body’s cues for food. Hence, keep the interaction with the baby at night as short and as quiet as possible. The baby will pick up the patterns and learn to recognize between night and day. For more information and tips on how to teach a baby the difference between day and night, you can refer to this article: https://www.tesco-baby.com/epc/how-can-i-teach-my-baby-the-difference-between-day-and-night/

Read more