My 5 months old baby is still unable to raise his head during tummy time. Should i be concern?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

As a guide, a baby would have developed neck muscles strong enough to help up his/her head by six months. At three to four months, he/she may be able to raise his/her head up to 45 degrees while lying on the tummy. You shouldn’t be too worried that your baby is still unable to hold up his head at five months old, he may still be developing the muscles needed to do so. Give him more tummy time. You can also try having him lie on you or your hubby instead of on the mattress/floor so that he could lift up his head to look at you or your husband. You can also shake a rattle on either sides of you baby’s heard to encourage him to turn his head from side to side. This may help strengthen his neck muscles. Head movements could also be encouraged by gently stroking the baby’s cheek. Speak to your doctor if you are still worried or if he is not showing any signs or attempts in trying to lift his head.

Read more

Every baby is different, my baby is 7 months old, she can lift her head during tummy time or while laying flat on his back and looks like she's ready to sit on her own. But the thing is, she can't crawl unlike other 7-m.o babies. It's normal according to Pedia. So you don't have to be worried. Soon your baby will learn to lift his or her head just keep the tummy time routine for at least 15 minutes total every day.

Read more

Try to give your LO more tummy time - about twice a day and each time 5-10min.. This will help him to develop his neck muscles needed to raise his head..

thanks