Covid19 , C19

Hi Mummy with Covid positive, 1) do you all eat the medicine or let the body naturally heal? 2) Is the medicine for (sore throat, cough, flu and fever) safe for baby ? 3) Will covid 19 be passed on to baby? Will baby turn out fine?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

hello! hope you're feeling better... I've never gotten COVID yet but here's some crowdsourced/doctor-verified advice on safe medications to manage symptoms: Regular Paracetamol (no panadol extra etc pls!) - up to 4 times a day of 2 tabs x 500mg Antihistamines - without decongestants (eg. Zyrtec/but not Zyrtec-D -- we shouldn't have the psuedoephedrine in it) like Loratidine / Cetrizine are fine e.g. Zyrtec, Clarityn, Telfast - Chlorpheniramine: drowsy but definitely safe for runny nose Cough syrup - Guaiphenesin only for those from over the counter pharmacies | Dextrometorphan by prescription Lozenges - Dequalinium / Difflam Mouth gargle/spray - Difflam --- on 3) you won't pass the virus to baby, but antibodies do pass into the placenta (: but antibody levels wane over time so doesn't mean baby will be born with the COVID antibodies! don't worry!! many many expecting ladies have become infected/reinfected and have had healthy babies in the end :) just need to be aware that if we get it when we are near term, COVID has been associated with premature contractions (if it happens like eg. @ 35-36 weeks, doc will prolly advise be on bedrest etc) but it's not a guarantee that they develop to full-blown contractions causing labour // if we get it near birth our birth plans may be disrupted e.g. private hospitals don't accept COVID+ve patients and will ask you to go restructured hospital A&E

Read more

Hi! I got covid in my 12th week as well. Was running a fever and the symptoms were quite bad so I took paracetamol for temp to drop, sore throat lozenge and cough med when necessary. tbh not sure if it will be passed on to baby but now I'm pass 30 weeks and baby is perfectly normal according to my gynae. so I would say just don't stress about it!

Read more

Hi! I got covid when I was 25 weeks preggy, only took some paracetamol (plain one) and I didn’t take much, all I do is just bed rest & plenty of water 💦, I do take cough syrup dextrometorphan as a last resort prescribed by my doctor bcos my cough was really bad for a week together with augmentin. Take care & get well soon!

Read more

hi! i'm currently on my 3rd day of my 1st Covid and am 21 weeks preggy now! i went to the clinic so i could have prescriptions that are safe for pregnant women. at them same time i mix water and honey to soothe my throat! good thing the line's fading now. hopefully fully faded in 2-3 days!

1) You can eat the medicine prescribe by your doctor/gynae. If you do not wish to consume the medication,chances of recovering will be long. 2) It will be lower in dose/MG and definitely safe for you/baby. 3) Nope it will not and baby will turn out fine.

had covid+ twice this pregnancy. 1st time i had it i only consume paracetamol n let my body heal naturally. 2nd time, i consume paracetamol n ponspan for cough. monitor baby's movements, if baby is active as always, thn u both are fine 😌

i only took cough syrup codein..cause cough till my ribs pain. and keep cough too hard. otherwise.. if fever take normal panadols. the rest lozenges.. flu tabs.. i nv take at all. negative on day 6 afternoon. 32 weeks preg.

Read more

You can see consult online Dr, I’ve seen Speedoc when I had Covid at 2 months preg. They will prescribe you med that safe for preg. Or you can just take the normal Panadol. And nope won’t pass to baby.

I didn’t take any medicine and recovered naturally around week 20+ I think. Only your antibodies will pass to baby, not the virus.

I didn’t take any medicine but they prescribed me paracetamol also and lozenges