Manual breast pump

Hi Mummies, I’m a ftm going to be due soon in 2-3 weeks and looking to breastfeed my baby as much as possible. I understand that for ftm milk supply may kick on slightly later. I read online that colostrum is enough for newborn as their intake is not that much during their first few days. Is it true that in order to collect the colostrum, i must hand express manually using a manual pump because baby won’t be able to suck as it is thick? I already have Spectra S1- i read that it’s not advisable to use an electric pump as it will leads to oversupply right? Any advice from experienced mummies are welcome for me to understand better.. Thank you 😊

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I’m not sure about the colostrum part but my LC squeezed and collected via syringe on the second day. Nurses assisted me with latching on the first day. Baby is the best pump, so just keep latching. And the part where an electric pump will lead to oversupply is not true. I have been using an electric pump since day 3 and have no oversupply problem. If you want to prevent from oversupplying, don’t pump after latching. 😃

Read more

Hi, if you are having leaking from 34 weeks onwards, you may collect the colostrum using a cup and store it using syringes. From week 37 onwards, you may try hand express it.