Starting solids!

Hi mummies! What is the best food to give first? I was thinking going all fruits and veggies purée but my MIL insists that I should be giving cerelac first. Can you share me your thoughts?

Starting solids!GIF
7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

any way u can tell MIL to chill haha. the older gen always say start with starchy stuff but as what everyone said watch out for the sugars and additives. double check with ur peads if possible too? A lot of people are doing baby led weaning too so im also researching on that. im planning to start with tasting before puree veges and fruits too. maybe a little bit of porridge no salt pepper kind. good luck

Read more

during my baby appt, dr said I can start puree at 4M since her head is strong and she can turn to her belly independently. so I did as instructed. I did a mix of both kinds depending on how busy my schedule is. if u are giving cerelac, make sure it does not contain sugar. cause I bought one tin and I read there is sugar in the list of ingredients. u might also consider other brands such as Gerber.

Read more

i would avoid cerelac first as most of it does contain sugar (commercial bought) and go ahead with purées! homemade ones are the best as u know what goes into the food for ur baby. it is absolutely OK to give sweet fruits such as banana, berries, etc. just make sure the consistency is not too runny and not too thick for the first few days☺️ it is the best journey u can take with ur LO. enjoy it!🤍

Read more
11mo ago

also, to add on: don’t just limit to fruits and veggies! i also started to introduce some spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and more to mix in the purees☺️

I did give my boy Cerelac first. Didn't intend to but cz got sample from PD so I thought just give my 5 months old then. and he ate it well. Aft tt I started giving him avocado puree. Some ppl say to give babies non-sweet food first so tt they don't develop a liking to sweet stuff so early on

Usually if baby goes infantcare, they will insist on cerelac so you can start exposing your bby. But if you are the caregiver, then can give non sweet fruits/veg, avocado +BM/FM, sweet potato, carrot, broccoli

I would say up to you. I gave cerelac first but my baby didn’t like so I started purées after that.

TapFluencer

whichever would be good as long as ur baby consumes