Things I hate about my in laws

Mummies out there, how do you deal with in laws when they annoy you? These are the things I hate (just to list a few) - 1) My MIL wants to see my baby but I am expected to bring my baby over. 2) Unmarried SIL with no children and no experience taking care of children come and tell me how to take care of my baby. Yes I am sure you know better *sarcasm*. What makes you think you can go around advising parents? Are you expert in the field? What experience do you have? 3) SIL likes to pretend punching baby in front of him. Why would you do that? Don't you know children learn by modelling? Ohh... sorry I forgot (refer to point 2) 4) Aunt-in-law who advocates hitting children to discipline them. She even tapped/hit my baby on his leg to demonstrate. I don't even bear to hit my baby. Who is she to do that? I regret not stopping her in time. Hope to hear some advice on how to deal with stupid people.

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I dont have in laws, nobody from my hubby side but my mother is same as u mentioned above. I make it a point to speak my mind when it comes to my child. They will get offended but my child's well being is my priority. You want to see my baby but you expect me to come over everytime? No. I will come as and when I am free and we have nothing on schedule. Initially they will get angry but after a while they started to understand and will come over once in a while to visit baby. I have unmarried cousins telling me this and that what I should and should not do with baby. Good advice I will take otherwise I will let it go in 1 ear out the other. They will get annoyed with me for not listening but I tell them, get your own kid then you try it out on them. Im softspoken before becoming a Mummy but after I had my child nothing else matters. What people say or ask me to do I wont bother too much I like to do things my way so that I can proudly say I bring up my child myself without relying on others. As for ur SIL who likes to pretend punch your child, tell her off. Sometimes you need to be super blunt to these type of people because if your child happen to play punch her in future she will blame you and not her own actions. Aunt in law who like to hit children to discipline them? What even. We as mummy cant even bear to hit out own child. The heartache when someone else do that even if its a tap. Try to avoid meeting her with your child. If cant be avoided try to have your child always near you when she is around. Discipline your child in front of her your own way. I always do that eg, telling me child what is right or wrong explaining nicely because kids react better to adults reasoning things that they understand rather than you hit them. If all else fail, remove yourself and child from shitty situation and stupid people. Show them you have more authority over your child than them and that you are not afraid to speak your mind when it come to your child. They will eventually get it and steer away from creating problems or being stupid around your child. 😁😁😁😁

Read more

don’t let them meet your baby since you are not staying with them. It’s your baby so you decide who your baby can meet. Just go over during festive seasons for awhile. That’s what I am planning to do because my in-laws are super unhygienic people who don’t even wash their hands before carrying my newborn and keep touching my baby’s face. And those Kaypo aunties also “advise” me on what to do using their 34556367438 years ago techniques. I hated them.

Read more
TapFluencer

As much as possible, don't bring the baby over. Find excuses to escape. Haiz, at least you can maybe escape. Mine will come every weekend and stay over to "take care" of my twins. But in fact, I'm taking care of three people cause some of the things my in law does is wrong and so I have to keep an eye on her

Read more
3y ago

Seriously don’t understand why these elderly can’t give us some break....... Jiayou all mummies

Easier said than done, but sometimes we have to put forth our stand clearly to them. Let them know what to expect and that you are the MUM. You have all the rights to protect ur kiddos.

I will make sure I know better than them , so that when they “advise” me, I will gun them down with my knowledge. And make sure to sound super confident and have ur hubby supporting you!

TapFluencer

my case starts with my mil everything you mention she does it what I did is I no longer being nice I will use smiling face and say them sarcastically. I have peace after that I'm haopy

VIP Member

it's your baby. speak your mind in a tactful manner and decline politely when they give undesirable requests. if baby learns anything bad, at the end of the day, still parent's fault.

Ignore and walk away. Communicate with husband and monitor. If it’s too much, have to step in.

3y ago

Tbh, husband not always will side us especially if they are brought up in an protective family.. I’m facing this, just had an argument again whenever I highlighted to my hubby about my concerns.

VIP Member

u the mummy , ur call .