Are antenatal classes helpful/needed?

Hi mummies, I’m a first time mom at 16 weeks and am wondering if antenatal classes are really helpful and worth the money? Not sure what to expect as a FTM. Any advice would be appreciated! #firstbaby #firsttimemom #FTM

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Never attended as I was pregnant in 2020 during lockdown so there was no class conducted. But friends who went said it is beneficial esp if u are caring for ur baby yourselves. Good to learn abt breastfeeding techniques too as I struggled as a FTM then. Now pregnant with no.2 I'm hoping to go for one

Read more

I attended with my husband as first time parents. it's not really a must to attend but it's good to have, as it prepares you and your spouse mentally, so you guys won't freak out when handling the baby. my husband still applies some of the techniques he learnt from the class for our no.2 baby.

if both new parents are the only ones looking after baby, then you will have to attend. do find classes with hands on training so you know how to bathe, carry, wrap baby if your parents / experienced nanny helper looking after, then class is not really needed

Hi Mummies, Antenetal classes are good. They prepare you to an extend on what all changes you can expect with a newborn. Although we can never be fully prepared for the baby but this is good to not get a shock as a FTM

VIP Member

I thought the private classes were super expensive and not exactly a need. But in the end I went to the KKH antenatal one at the last minute and for the price and content I felt more prepared for my first baby.

Not really necessary but it’s fun to experience with your spouse :) At least get to be hands on for awhile during the class.

Didnt attend any classes though when i had firstborn. Hubby learned while watching videos at hosp (coz it kept repeating lol)

I am also ftm, dont think will attend coz first month will have confinement nanny, i think can learn from her hhe

11mo ago

Ya I was thinking of the same thing haha but not sure how legit the nanny will be 😂

VIP Member

It’s good to attend. So both of you have a better idea what’s happening and what to expect.

Do you all mind sharing how much is it? Like a rough range

11mo ago

I think it depends on age and the coverage. I got mine annually so it’s about 1.7k, coverage 200k (30 yo!) hope this helps 😊