Mix Thawed breastmilk with Formula

Hi mummies! May I know if any of you have tried mixing thawed breastmilk in the same bottle with formula before? I used to freeze 180ml of breastmilk in each milk storage bag, but now my baby’s intake per feed is arnd 200-210ml so need to top-up the balance with formula but I’m not sure how to do it! My girl is 14months old!

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Yep that's totally fine, our doctor actually recommended us to mix bm and formula to get baby used to the taste of formula since they reject formula at first! Eventually when you're weaning you can lower the bm amount and increase the formula amount.

Super Mum

You can do so by making the formula with water first and not with the ebm. But it's recommended to offer bm and formula separately so that you wont waste the ebm in case baby cant finish.

4y ago

Sure, thank you, my friend! :)

Yup I did that, added thawed warm BM into already pre mixed formula milk for bottle feeding

Super Mum

Yup I’ve done that, especially when I was weaning off bm and converting her feeds to fm.

4y ago

Hi Cherlyn, do you mind sharing how did you mix the 2 milk tgth into 1 bottle? Should I warm the thawed milk to room temperature before adding formula (after mixing with water) in?