Syringe feeding

Hi mummies, I have yet to deliver but would like to know from your experience. In the event, baby refuse to latch or bottle feed, other than feeding using cup, can we use syringe to feed baby milk? If yes, usually how many ml of syringe you use ? And can be any type of standard syringe ?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Hi I just delivered and the hospital (NUH) gave some syringes 5ml upon request to collect milk for the night feeds at nursery. Usually within 24hrs baby don’t drink much. Your milk will ramp up in day 2 or 3 just ensure you have lots of rest after labour okie! All the best!

I was told by hospital LC that they use either 3ml or 5ml. So I prepared 3ml syringes because I’m not sure if hospital will provide them for free. Bought from hospital pharmacy those individually packed type that are sterile.

VIP Member

Syringes are fine, usually 5mls. But you wont need it for long, usually they go on to milk pretty quickly. Syringe and cup feed probably more for the start when it’s colostrum.

Mt alvernia included 3ml syringe as part of the package. Subsequently I purchased 5ml syringe and used it till baby was 3mo. Thereafter I bottle fed and baby had no confusion.

as a ftm, i was advised by hosp to use syringe instead of cup. hosp provided the syringes for me to bring home, i didnt have to buy any

TapFluencer

sterile medical syringes