When to trim newborn nails

Hi mummies, ftm here. How early and when did you first trim your newborn’s nail and how often ? #FTM

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Getting a nail filer (battery-operated ones) is better than nail clipper as it will help to reduce the anxiety of hurting LO's fingers. After 1 month will be good as filing LO's nails during the first few weeks might risk chipping off the nails more than we wanted to, or even cracking the nails. Wearing mittens up to 2 months help with preventing scratches. Afterwards, file their nails as and when needed to reduce the sharpness. 😊

Read more

My beb is 24 days old now we started trimming using Mylo electric nail clipper since 10 days co his nails grow fast and he was starting to scratch his face. we trim whenever it feels long and so around every 2 to 3 days.

Hello! First month baby’s nails are very soft, will “chip off” by itself, just use the mittens will do, dun have to cut/file. 2nd month u can try, go online and buy those infant filer.

I trim off both kids nails after 44 days confinement. I do it every once a week. As she also using mittens up till 2 months I will check to ensure her nails not too long.

After 1mo will be good. Just trim as long as you feel it’s sharp.

Plan to trim only after the first month - Chinese culture.