Feeding Your Baby

hi mummies! do you feed your baby (especially newborn) following strictly 2 or 3 hours gap, or whenever your baby cries?

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

For newborns, best to feed them at intervals of maximum 3 hours. In the very early days, feeding is slightly more important than sleep. Babies can also be sleepier if they have jaundice and they need to drink more to flush it out via pee and poop. When things are more established, can switch to feeding on demand instead (I.e. Feed when they cry). I learned from my board certified lactation consultant :) My baby had jaundice and slept up to 5 hours in the first week, I was told to wake her for feeds. Her feeding regulated by the end of first month. Different babies have different rates of adjusting though! Tbh newborns are highly driven by basic needs, so their crying is a way of telling their caregivers they need something met. I don't subscribe to the old beliefs that a baby (esp in their first year) can be spoilt by soothing them when they fuss.

Read more

For this I also not really sure, the people in the older days like my mom tells me sleep will encourage the baby to grow faster if they sleep don’t wake them up let them sleep but some also said need to wake them up after around 2-3hrs to feed them. So kind of confuse also, So I think it’s better to ask the paediatricians.

Read more

for mine i will wait till she cry then i feed milk if she’s sleeping well i wont wake her up for milk , and also as what old ppl saying is that if they are used to u feeding them without them asking for it they will eventually used to it and next time if they hungry they wont cry or anything? i not sure if is true ......

Read more

For direct latch, I will follow baby’s cues. For bottle fed typically I’ll feed every 2 hours, provided baby had a full bottle before. For an example, if previously baby only drink 50, instead of the usual 100, then baby might get hungry faster. Otherwise every 2 hours will be sufficient

VIP Member

For newborns, I learned that you should follow the 2-3 hrs gap. If bb doesn’t wake up after 3-4 hrs, you should wake him or her up to feed because their stomach empties quickly since it’s so small and sometimes they may sleep through hunger which isn’t good.

VIP Member

Till the time baby has achieved birth weight we should feed every 2 hours as well as on demand. After that feed on demand. This is with respect to breastfeeding.

Do you eat following strictly on 2 to 3 hour gap or u eat when u are hungry? Bb are the same as us.. so follow baby hunger cue

TapFluencer

follow babies cue. when they cry we feed. when they sleep don't want them up

Yes, 2 hours gap especially NB

Mine always in time of 3hours