Private or public route

Hi mummies anyone has experience to share on whether it’s better to go private or public? I’m in a dilemma as private cost seems to be much much higher. But public seems like each time you go for appointment have to wait quite a long time…

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Was with KKH subsidised route from beginning of pregnancy till week 35. Smooth and never have to wait for more than an hr (but please be on time or even earlier than the scheduled appt time, if your number is missed then will have to wait quite long). Changed to KKH private at week 36 onwards. very surprised the wait was more than an hour each time and sometimes even close to 2 hrs .. Highly recommended to go via sub route first - then change to private during Trimester 3. cost saving and value for money and to be honest, I find sub / private the only difference is sub are different gynae but they are all very nice and patient from my experience. private is fixed gynae and if the gynae is popular- the wait time very long

Read more

I initially went for private the wait was quite ok for consultation but for the scans I think the wait can be quite long as well.. in the end I decided to go kkh instead though because the test are more or less the same and instead we saved quite abit of money.. 1 consultation at private is usually minimally about $150? But I paid less than $50 or even lesser in Govt hospital .. as for the test I save much more money ..

Read more

I really think it depends. Mine's private, still need to wait but I've never needed to wait for more than an hour before. However, my friend goes for checkup at NUH but she says she didn't need to wait too long. Another friend said she waited for more than 3 hours before 🤣 so I think it depends on your luck too 😅

Read more

Tbh i see a pte clinic but sometimes the wait can be long too (dk if the ppl in front of me always late or what). But i have to say pte hosp costs r significantly higher. My nipt at pte clinic (comprehensive one) came up to 2+k after gst if i recall correctly

I am a ftm with a pte gynae through recommendation. typically can see doc within 30mins, nurses are also v friendly and able to help if have questions. cost wise the consultation was cheaper after I took up the package (~$120). Good experience thus far!

6mo ago

Hi Cherlyn, do you mind sharing your gynae name and hospital please

Switch to private if you want preferred timing, example if you have limited leave or work commitments. KKH private entitles you to book evening or sat morning clinics so spouse can join too

Honestly, even private the wait can be quite long. If the wait is the inly concern, i would still stick to subsidized