Expressing milk for working mums

Hi mummies, any advice for a FTM here? Going back to work in couple of months, any advice or suggestion on how should I go about expressing my milk during work hours? Do I do it on a 3-4 hourly basis or as and when necessary? How do I store it and bring them back home? Do I need a cooler bag just for my milk? Please help!!! Open to any advice and suggestions!!

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

As for me, I only pumped during my lunch time at my desk with a nursing cover because my office didn’t have a nursing room or a spare room for me to use. I also bought a cooler bag, ice packs/bricks and stored my EBM in milk storage bags. My office didn’t have a pantry so I have to keep my EBM chilled until I reach home. I leave home at 7am and reach home at 7pm. My ice packs/bricks can last that long. I just made sure they’re fully frozen. Once I reach home, I quickly keep my EBM in the freezer. Freshly expressed/pumped BM can be kept in the fridge for up to 4 days. Room temperature for up to 4 hours and freezer for 6-12 months. Thawed, previously frozen BM should be consumed within 1-2hrs in room temperature and within 24hrs in the fridge. NEVER refreeze thawed BM. Leftover from feeding (baby didn’t finish the milk) should be consumed within 1-2hrs after the baby is finished from feeding.

Read more
2y ago

Thank you so much!!!! This really helps a lot!!!?

Hi, i pump thrice in the office at 8:00am (before start work), 11.30am & 3.3pm. I stored my breast pump and expressed milk in my cooler bag and place the cooler bag inside my office’s fridge.

2y ago

Thanks that is really helpful !! Does the express milk need to be placed in the freezer? Or just a normal fridge?

I pumped every 3 hours to maintain supply. I stored the bottles in a little bag in the office fridge. Commute for me is around 30 mins. So I didn’t bother with a cooler bag.

TapFluencer

i pumped at least every 3hrs... stored in refrigerator... cooler bag home

VIP Member

🤗🤗🤗