Hi! My mum keep nagging that it's my breastmilk that cause baby to have cough and phelgm. & discourage me from breastfeeding. What is your opinions mummies ?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

my baby is phlemy too, even i do cupping for him daily, it doesnt help much.. i continue to give him my bm.. but i do take note and change my diet, initially i had at least 1 cold drink everyday. now i stop, and i try not to eat chicken too. i simply avoid the foods that an adult should if he is coughing. Not sure hw much of the content of the food we ate are passed down to baby through our bm, but i just trial n error to monitor. its just like some mummies dont take alcohol while bf.. everybaby might be different, one mummy can eat everything and anything, and baby doesnt have any reaction, while another might need to avoid nuts, dairy, eggs and even some veg as baby have allergic reaction to it.. so mummy trial and error to see if which method works for ur baby.. most imptly is observe ur baby condition.. condition worsen pls go to pd.

Read more

The World Health Organisation (WHO) says that exclusive breastfeeding is recommended up to 6 months of age, with continued breastfeeding along with appropriate complementary foods up to 2 years of age or beyond. You can tell your mom that there are so many benefits that comes from breastfeeding and it's nutrients are unparalleled. It can't be your breastmilk that causes the cough and phlegm then if that's the case, lots of mothers will be causing their babies to be sick too. If the cough and phlegm doesn't go away, seek a doctor's advice. Pretty sure he won't blame your breastmilk.

Read more

Pls try to feed lo for at least 6 mths. Educate yr mum about it too. Breastfeeding is best for baby but please take note of your diet too.

Read more

Ignore your Mother!