induced labor

any mum induced labor before the edd date? can tell me the procedure? does it take longer time than normal delivery?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
TapFluencer

The duration of a normal delivery varies between women. I have friends who were in labour for only 8 hours for their first while others were in labour for 40 over hours for their first. Personally, I was induced and it took me 26 hours. I was admitted and a cervix exam was conducted. They then strapped me to the CTG monitor to monitor contractions and babys heart beat. Afterwards a pill was inserted to soften the cervix. It's supposed to soften and dilate after 8 hours but I didn't so i had another pill inserted. I wasnt dilated at all prior to admission into hosp. Few hours after second pill, I felt painful contractions and I took the epidural. A few hours later, gynae came to burst my water bag and I was put on a pitocin drip. Waited another 8 hours before I could push.

Read more
Super Mum

I was induced before edd as my water bag broke and I did not have any contractions. They gave me oxytocin via a drip on my arm. The nurse told me the risk is that this 'fake' oxytocin which is not produced by my body naturally can make contractions stronger, more frequent and more painful than in natural labour.

Read more
VIP Member

I was induced at 37W3D due to the baby getting too big and if we waited till full term, vaginal will not be possible (my gynae said I am too small for the baby’s size). 2 tablets over 12 hours... It failed so I had to go through emergency c-sect. Just be prepared coz not all inductions are successful 😊

Read more

I was induced at week 38. After being induced, my contractions started by the 3rd hour and I was in active labour by the 5th hour. I delivered within 9 hours which seem to be quick. My gynae mentioned he expected me to take longer than a day so i guess this must be considered quick.

VIP Member

Got induced at week 37 plus for first pregnancy cos I was told by doctor that baby is big. Took around 18 hours to deliver.

I also wanted to induced in week 38. But I'm afraid that the percentage of successful for normal delivery 😥

1st pregnancy, induced at 38 weeks, took 23 hours😅 2nd pregnancy, induced also at 38 weeks, took 4 hours

preferably not