Low red blood count

Hello moms! I recently got my blood test result back and turns out I have a low red blood cell count. I’m supposed to see my gynae in a week’s time for review of those results and NIPT result. But would like to know if there are any tips to increase red blood cell count by changing diet, instead of just depending on iron supplement? I also have a fear/phobia of swallowing pills/tablets/capsules, so any clue if gynae can prescribe some sort of iron supplement in the form of liquid? Thank you in advanced!

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi there! Dealing with low red blood cell count can be quite worrying, especially during pregnancy. It's great that you're looking for natural ways to boost your iron levels through diet. Here are some tips that might help: 1. **Iron-Rich Foods**: Incorporate more iron-rich foods into your diet. These include lean meats (like beef, lamb, and chicken), fish, beans, lentils, tofu, spinach, and fortified cereals. 2. **Vitamin C**: Vitamin C helps improve the absorption of iron from plant-based foods. So, pair your iron-rich meals with foods high in vitamin C such as oranges, strawberries, bell peppers, and broccoli. 3. **Avoid Iron Blockers**: Certain substances can inhibit iron absorption, such as calcium, caffeine, and some whole grains. Try to avoid consuming these around the same time as your iron-rich meals. 4. **Cook with Cast Iron**: Using cast iron cookware can actually increase the amount of iron in your food. Regarding your phobia of swallowing pills, it's definitely something you should discuss with your gynae. They can indeed prescribe liquid iron supplements if tablets or capsules are too intimidating. Always ensure to follow their recommendations closely. Additionally, as you’re looking for dietary supplements, you might find this supplement beneficial for pregnant and breastfeeding mothers: [Pregnant and Breastfeeding Mothers Supplement](https://invl.io/cll7h72). It could be a helpful addition to your diet to ensure you’re getting all the necessary nutrients. Take care and wishing you all the best with your pregnancy and health! https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more

Hello! I have very low red blood cell (way below the range) and my gynae has advised me to eat this iron supplements. https://www.watsons.com.sg/iberet-folic-500-iron-with-vitamin-bc-folic-acid-tablets-promote-iron-absorption-60s/p/BP_13100 You can get it at Watsons, guardian or Unity. My red blood cells improved after that. However, please do not take it together with calcium. Do leave a 2 hour gap. You can consult your gynae for more advice.

Read more

if you do not like to swallow pills, can take food that is rich in iron eg. beef. I think there's some iron vitamins in watsons/unity that comes in liquid form. but suggest you highlight to your gynae your concern then see if she has any solutions

I have low blood count too! did your gynae send both you and your hub for thalassemia test?

4mo ago

Hi there! I actually haven’t seen my gynae yet after the results came out, as I saw it through the NUHS app. Looked through my thalassemia test results and it says ‘no abnormal bands detected’ and it’s been a week since the results came out and the hospital didn’t call me to get my husband to get any tests done so I assume that we’re in the clear for now. We’re meeting our gynae in a week’s time to go through all results + our NIPT result so I’ll update!! Take care mama!

Eat lots and lots of red beef and green leafy vegetables

Eat more iron rich foods is the best alternative!

TapFluencer

🙏💕

💕