Hi mommies (and daddies, too)! i just need insights. My husband is an OFW. He left when i was only 3months pregnant and he has a two-year contract. He was not here when I gave birth to our precious one. Baby will also be turning one year old without his father too. When we first talked about baby's christening, hubby wants to be present in the occasion so we will have to wait til he comes home for baby's baptism (even if I personally wanted him to be baptized at his first month). Now that baby is 6 months, hubby wants baby to be baptized at his first birthday. I am confused if I will be waiting for hubby or have baby baptized on his birthday. #OFWproblems

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I'm sure your husband just wants to be present in all of the occasions. If waiting for a few more months without being your kid baptized isn't an issue, then I guess just wait for him to come home. Pros to this decision would be 1) he can join the special gathering 2) costs will be less, considering birthday and baptism expenses will be combined. However, some families tend to be strictly conservative Catholics and for them, it's a must that babies should be baptized as early as possible. Ask yourself: does your family belong to this kind? If yes, and you think it's best to baptize your kid immediately, then explain it to your husband. If you'd ask me, I'll just wait for my spouse to come home. But at the end of the day, you both will decide what's best.

Read more
8y ago

my family is a strict catholic hence the reason i want baby baptized on his first month.. however, my hubby's family doesnt mind having late baptism for baby and i guess they want us to wait for my husband.. if we will be having baby baptized on his first birthday, my husband will not be around.. we actually have to wait for another good 6months before hubby returns home.. baby will then be one and half old which we both think is too late already.. anyway, thanks for the thought. :) i appreci

I agree with the moms out here. I'm sure the celebration would a lot more meaningful if all of you were present. I don't see anything wrong waiting for your baby's first birthday to have her christening at the same time. I used to believe what the oldies say that babies should be baptized as early as 2-3 months. That's what I did with my first child. But with my second, we waited until her first birthday.

Read more

Pwede naman po mommy na wait mo nalang si daddy nya 😊 Saganun 2 occasion nandun daddy nya . Sakin din plan ko sabay na baptize and birthday ni baby jan sa pinas kahit wala daddy nya at mag papaiwan dito sa canada 😊😇 . Any ways iba parin mommy kapag kasama nyo si daddy . Opinyon ko lang 🥰😉

Same here. Hubby on a 2 year contract in KSA. If it's something that can wait 'til his return, I'd rather celebrate 'til he comes home. I'm sure ibang iba parin ang saya pag anjan sya at dalawa kaung nag dedicate sa bata kay Lord, which is also the main reason for baptism. :)

My baby was baptized on her first birthday and that made her party a double celebration! You're at the 6 month mark, the months will fly by and before you know it, your husband will be home and the family will be complete for the baptism.

for me mas magandang andun sya. Maybe dahil siguro sa financial state kung bakit gusto nya mamove un. Pero di naman kasi kailangan ng engrande or bonggang binyag or birthday eh. Ang importante andun kayong parents nya.

Better if the dad is there during those occasions. There's nothing like being complete on those occasions. If i were in your shoes, i will wait for hubby.