How early do mummies do the gestational diabetes test?

Mine was scheduled at week 24, I was kinda sad my "freedom" days are gone soon as I think I have high chance of having GD because my immediate fam has it and I can feel low blood glucose after a meal before preg (that makes me worry my insulin is not working well) I don't eat much sweet stuff, just once in a blue moon, but I do enjoy the freedom to eat without diabetes like strict diet... #pregnancy #GestationalDiabetes#advicepls

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Mine was supposed to be done at wk 28. However due to a urine test on wk 20+1, my sugar level was pretty high even after 1h plus. Gynae felt smth not right and got me to do the glucose test the following day. Indeed my glucose test was mad, couldnt come down after 2 hours. Got referred immediately to c endocrine. My mum had GD when she had me, that makes my chances even higher. Having this baby stopped alot of my sugar cravings. Anyway dont worry too much, let nature takes its course. I initially felt pretty the-end-of-world feeling. Now accept it. My endocrine doctor is asking me to go on insulin jabs to get more nutrients because she is worried im not eating enuf. I totally stopped eating rice n only take in dishes.. 😂

Read more
VIP Member

The routine urine test at evry visit could be an indicator. So then i thought i am ok, but then i failed my ogtt test at wk24, at 0.1 ranges..but to doctors it doesn't matter, fail abit is still a fail. So mine is considered a borderline case which requires diet control. Previously in early tri2 my appetite was so good, had 3 full meals a day... had sweet cravings, can have 2 cups of juice n 2 servings of fruits daily lol. Now... Just keep meals small (each meal carbs like only a fist size portion) and eat more beehoon or root vegetables. I have diabetes fren n she said she does alot walking after each meal to manage her levels. Does help abit to lower but its still not magic la.

Read more
3y ago

Walking definitely helps a bit. My endocrine doc said if possible go for walk. Had my wk24 check ytd and thankfully no nd go in insulin yet! Actually they recommend to spread more carbs throughout the day. I cut off most carbs like rice, beehoon and only eat the sides (which actually feels more filling to me)

hello Valerie, please do not worry at all, hopefully the test will come negative. Here is an article for you. Hope you find it useful https://sg.theasianparent.com/oral-glucose-tolerance-test-procedure-why-should-pregnant-mums-take-one

3y ago

thank u :)

Dear mummies, thank u so much for your replies, they r helpful, there are some bugs in this thread, this is the only way I can do the reply instead of individual comment

Don’t worry so much! My dad has diabetes but thankfully I passed the GD test during my pregnancy. If you don’t eat that much sweet stuff, you’re all good!

3y ago

Envy, i dont take much sugar stuff but i sadly gt it.

TapFluencer

24 weeks