1st Trim Weight Loss

Hi mama, I'm at my first trim now and I lose bit of weight. Is this healthy? I'm also a small eater, plus recently no appetite, wondering if my baby able to receive nutrient from me? I'm really worried and should I keep forcing myself to eat?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi! It's okay to just eat / drink whatever you can stomach. At least in the first tri, the embryo can still rely on the yolk sac until the placenta is fully developed by end of first tri. The yolk sac provides nourishment for your baby in the early stage. https://www.parents.com/pregnancy/week-by-week/5/your-growing-baby-week-five/ When you feel better, you can try to eat/drink more. I'm not a big eater and my baby did gain weight normally. What I did much later in my pregnancy, when her weight gain kind of slowed down, was to pick calorie and nutrient-dense food options so I can still pack in my calories without having to eat so much in quantity. I picked things like maternal formula milk, avocados, eggs etc. At one point, I did try to pack my day with high quantities of food (ate every 1.5-2 hours) and it made me very bloated and stressed out :/ I think just have to try to eat /drink wisely and your baby can still grow very well!

Read more

Its normal to lose weight but as always if you are worried, please talk to your doctor. Science has it that our baby receives nutrients from our body “reserves”, so even though I lost 7kg in my first trimester, every check up/scan showed the bbs growing well! Just eat whatever you can - may be a bite of dry cracker (e.g. Meiji plain cracker), bread, a mouthful of noodles or rice. The small meals can help. Most importantly is to keep yourself hydrated! If you can’t stomach plain water, sips of Milo, orange juice, apple juice or even ribena will help too! Hang in there, the nausea and appetite loss will be over before you know it! :)

Read more

Same! When I was in my first tri, within 1.5 months I lost 7kg cause I couldn’t eat rice. I eat much lesser than I used to. I was worried as well but went for my monthly appts and saw baby healthy. Now I’m in 2nd tri, appetite has picked up and I gained back the weight that I’ve lost in just a short period of time. Just make sure you eat very small meals (if you can’t eat a normal portion meal) staggered throughout the day and drink plenty of water.

Read more

It's quite norm for first trim to lose weight cos the vomitting, once second trim you feel much better you will eat more and start to gain weight from there

If u never eat.. How to pass nutrient to baby? U have to eat no matter what.. Eat small portion but frequently..

First trimester some mummy will lose weight due to appetite change.. try to eat small portions but frequent.

TapFluencer

I lost 4kg during 1st tri too. But overall I gain 22kg. Not to worried appetite will come later

VIP Member

It's fine I lost weight at 1st Tri too! Eat whatever works for you, for me it was fruits.

Just eat whatever u can, rest well. Im at 2nd trismester and lose 5 kg. No appetite.

VIP Member

It's alright. Just eat what you can, eat small meals.