Just want to vent

Long story short I left my full time job to care for my first born when he turned 1 year old as I've no help during the pandemic, and helper was a trash. Started to look for job now that first born goes to school and realised I'm pregnant again. I'm 6 months into pregnancy now and due to unemployment for sometime I'm quite desperate for a job. My long time friend of almost 20 years her company is looking for part time for 5 days to help key invoices into new system..she is also the office manager..she says she can pay me up to $10 per hour..firstly I'm also puzzled what does up to means? Anyway I accepted the job cuz it's my long time friend. Working hours 9am to 6pm excluding lunch hour. On my 1st day I reached at 9am and ate breakfast for 10 mins. I was told to key in over 1,000 invoices which are Jan to Jun 2022 which I need to clear in 5 days. I have to transfer the invoices from old system to new system, part by part, and sometimes there's error, need amendments, need tally amount etc. When she approached me I told her I can type very fast..i really can type very fast..if its a list of items or names on paper and need me to transfer to excel I can type fast..but the invoices are not as straightforward as just copy and pasting..furthermore I double and triple check my work. And on first day after briefing when doing I also ask multiple times while working to make sure I do correctly..I managed to complete over 200 invoices on my first day..however my friend WhatsApp me and say I tot u say u can type very fast? And ask me to type faster the next day. I feel quite annoyed by her comments. Feel like asking her to do it herself. I think I can complete over 200 invoices in a day is already an achievement. I see until my eyes almost crossed and sit until my butt pain. Furthermore im preggy now. Do u think this type of friend is a friend? I'm working not sure even if there is a $10 per hour as she says up to..den she treated me like $200 per day?? Also asked me to reach office earlier to eat my breakfast first which I did the next day. #advicepls

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

That’s the cons of working with friends. May jeopardise your friendship if conflicts turn sour. Imo, she’s like a typical supervisor who just wants to get things done asap and using workers like a sponge. Maybe you want to have a talk with her and tell her your point of view? Or ask her to hire another person to help you.

Read more
2y ago

Then just tolerate the 5 days and it’ll be over soon!

Agree with you..feel she's eating me..